4-H CARTEENS is a traffic safety program conducted by 4-H teen leaders and their program partners for juvenile traffic offenders. 4-H CARTEENS goals include:
- reducing the number of repeat juvenile traffic offenders,
- decreasing the number of teen traffic offenders, and
- increasing teen awareness of traffic/vehicular safety.
If I am a juvenile traffic offender, how do I sign up to attend a 4-H CARTEENS class?
* Contact the OSU Extension office by calling 4119-747-8755 to reserve a seat in an upcoming class
* Arrive at the Longview Center, 1495 W. Longview Ave., Mansfield at 8:40 a.m. on the day of class
* Bring class payment ($30) in cash or check payable to the Richland County Youth Safety Council
* Class runs from 9:00 - 11:00 a.m.; a receipt will be given at the end of class to serve as an attendance completion certificate; a duplicate copy will be sent to the Richland County Juvenile Court
* 2022 class dates: January 29, February 26, March 26, April 30, May 21, June 25, July 30, August 27, September 24, October 29 and November 19
* 2023 class dates: January 28, February 25, March 25, April 29, May 20, June 24, July 29, August 26, September 30, October 28 and November 18
4-H CARTEENS Background
Ohio State University faculty and staff located in county Extension offices recruit and engage adult volunteers and teen leaders who provide leadership to educational programs for youth in local communities. Over the years, county needs assessments conducted by OSU Extension have repeatedly identified teen vehicular safety as a priority need in Ohio’s communities.
The 4-H CARTEENS vehicular safety initiative was developed in response to this need. The original CARTEENS Program began in Brown County, Ohio in 1987. The local 4-H educator, volunteer teen leaders, the juvenile probate court, and the Ohio Highway Patrol all collaborated to develop the program. Since 1987, the 4-H CARTEENS program has expanded throughout Ohio and to several other states across the nation.
For more information about 4-H CARTEENS, visit www.ohio4h.org/4-h-youth/teens/carteens.