Nov. 26, 2014
Gardening check list to prepare for winter.
- Keep piles of leaves off lawn.
- Keep firewood away from the house; wood piles attract rodents and insects looking for a winter home.
- Check houseplants for insect pests that may have hitched a ride inside.
- Purchase amaryllis bulbs for holiday blooms.
- Shred and compost yard waste for next year's garden.
- Check seals and caulk around doors, windows and attics to keep overwintering insects out of the house.
- Bring in the last potatoes, carrots, cabbage, etc., or prepare to store them in the garden.
- Don't walk on frosted grass or you will leave permanent footprints.
- Make a to-do list for next year's garden while you still remember what happened this year!
- Store bird feed in mouse-proof containers.